Saturday, January 27, 2007

Adrian Newey on McLaren


It's interesting when Adrian Newey, McLaren's erstwhile Technical Director, comments on McLaren and in a tone thats positive and raises hope :
"They're a tough team and in (double champion) Fernando (Alonso) they have perhaps the most proven driver at the moment given Michael (Schumacher)'s retirement.Probably some of the things that hindered them last year, the direction that tyre development took and possibly the way that the engine rules were, have now fallen into their hands.So I would imagine that they will be very competitive this year."
Adrian Newey was the brain behind the MP4/13 which took Mika Hakkinen to his first championship and won McLaren the constructors crown in 1998. This man used to be the force that saw Mclaren's car have that wee bit of aerodynamic advantage and when he left McLaren for Red bull in 2005 some of us would have wondered if McLaren would be able to get a person who could fit the big space that was vacant.
Adrian Newey also is quite a modest man which is evident when one see the interviews he gives to the media. My favourite Adrian quote is also the answer he gave when questioned about the secret of his success.
"I don't think there is a single knack, I mean it's what I always wanted to do. I guess I am reasonably artistic, got a reasonable maths brain as well, and managed to combine the two into what I do. But what the trick is, I don't know."
[The first picture and second pictutes are off Mika Hakkinen & Adrian Newey. The third picture is off Ron Dennis and Adrian Newey]